All Things DER: How to Focus On the Impact of DER and Plan for the Future
Welcome to the All Things DER podcast! In this podcast, we’ll be digging in, defining, and discussing where the new energy economy is heading with electric industry leaders, and explore all the ways that distributed energy resources can modernize and improve our ever-evolving power grid.
In today’s episode, we’re talking with Josh Mauzey, Senior Manager of Grid Edge Innovation at Southern California Edison. We discuss the importance of battery storage and what we can learn from microgrid projects as well as ways to build resiliency into the power grid as we implement new DER. From facing unprecedented challenges head on to embracing new talent that can move the industry forward, we dig into a variety of ways to continually pursue cleaner energy and create a better future for the power industry.
Here’s what you’ll discover:
- Why the decommissioning of a battery storage project is actually an exciting opportunity for the industry as a whole
- How DER can play a important role in implementing public safety power shut offs during high winds
- How affordability factors into the decision of when and how to build microgrids
- Why not getting hung up on the terminology and choosing to focus on the impending changes coming from emerging technologies is important
- How microgrids allow for important discoveries that can translate to the main power grid as a whole, and why this matters
- Why electric vehicles present an unprecedented challenge in anticipating customer behavior due to the moving nature of the load