Welcome to the All Things DER podcast! In this podcast, we’ll be digging in, defining, and discussing where the new energy economy is heading with electric industry leaders, and explore all the ways that distributed energy resources can modernize and improve our ever-evolving power grid.
In today’s episode, we’re talking with Michael Jarro, Vice President of Distribution Operations at Florida Power and Light (FPL). DER adoption in Florida has been slower than other states, but FPL has turned this challenge into an opportunity to create a more resilient grid that benefits all stakeholders. We discuss the lessons FPL has learned along the way, from the importance of investing in grid cybersecurity to studying other utility experiences as a way to make the most of your time.
Here’s what you’ll discover:
- How FPL has been able to increase the resiliency of the grid without increasing customer costs or compromising on service
- Why net metering and electric vehicle charging are becoming more popular as demand response programs
- Why it’s important for utilities to invest in grid cybersecurity, not just grid performance
- What steps FPL is taking to achieve a goal of having the cleanest generation fleet in the United States, with a goal of net zero emissions by 2045
- Why utilities should embrace increased DER penetration instead of being fearful of it